What is Latte Macchiato
Like most Espresso drinks, Latte Machiato has its roots in Italy – the home of Espresso coffee, if you will.
But why is it called Latte Macchiato? The literal translation is “stained (marked) milk”. Latte Macchiato is basically frothed milk with a tiny amount of Espresso coffee added to it. Doesn’t it sound delicious!
Short explanation of the difference between the drinks:
- Caffè Macchiato (Espresso Macchiato) is a double or triple shot of Espresso with a dollop of milk foam on top.
- Caffè Latte is a single shot of Espresso with steamed milk that forms a froth on top (1/3 of Espresso and 2/3 of milk). Milk is added to Espresso.
- Latte Macchiato is a steamed milk with a little bit of Espresso coffee used, usually half shot. Espresso is added to milk.
Simple way to prepare your Latte Macchiato at home:
- Pour cold milk into pitcher and froth it with steam wand in your Espresso machine.
- (If your machine doesn’t contain the steam wand, simply pour the milk into a pan and steam it on the hob. Don’t forget to whisk the milk to make sure it won’t stick to the bottom.)
- When the milk is ready, pour it into a tall ‘Latte’ glass. Use a spoon to separate a little bit of the ‘dry’ foam while pouring and add it on top.
- Now it’s time to make a shot of Espresso coffee. I recommend you do not use a regular coffee cup, but something like a little milk jug that has the peak for pouring.
- Take the hot Espresso and use approximately half a shot. Pour it carefully in the middle of the cup.
- You may notice that on the top of the foam there is a hole where the milk has separated from the pouring; use the rest of the foam from the pitcher to cover it up and create a nice tip with a spoon.
- The drink will now divide into three layers of milk, coffee and foam.
- Sprinkle with grounded chocolate or cinnamon if desired.
Types of Coffee
- How much fat is there in coffee?
- Drinking coffee every day reduces diabetes risk
- Caffè Sospeso
- The cheap method for good fresh coffee
- What is the world’s biggest coffee bean called?
- How to grow your own coffee
- Why is coffee called a “cup of Joe”?
- The origins of coffee
- Nespresso Espresso coffee machine
- Darker Roast Means Less Caffeine