What is Caffè Latte?
The Caffè Latte is a single shot of Espresso coffee with velvety steamed milk that forms a milky froth on top (1/3 of Espresso and 2/3 of milk). Caffè Latte literally means ‘coffee (and) milk’. Another variant of Latte can be made by replacing the coffee part of Latte with a tea, such as Chai or Mate.
Latte is recommended for those who like milky drinks but also appreciate lots of coffee flavour. It became very popular in North America since 1970′s, when the Caffe Latte was first brought on to the American market. Latte, in the US, is usually blended with sweet syrups. Italians usually drink Latte in the mornings as part of their breakfast.
Tip: Always ask for ‘Caffe Latte’ if you are in an italian coffeehouse or somewhere else abroad; In Italy the word ‘Latte’ means milk, so it means the waiter would bring you only hot or cold milk… Oops.
How to make Latte
Caffe Latte can be easily prepared with an Espresso machine (also known as an Espresso pot or Mocha pot).
- Prepare a single shot of Espresso and pour the Espresso into the cup.
- Steam 300ml/10 oz. of milk.
- Use approximately 360ml/12 oz. glass and fill in with the steamed milk (140°C/284°F).
- To create the foam, rotate the pitcher while pumping the steamed milk into the bottom raising and lowering the pitcher to control the amount of air getting into it.
- Serve in heatproof and tall glasses with grounded chocolate or cinnamon on top.
- Enjoy the flavour.
Chai Latte (Tea Latte)
Chai Latte is a spiced tea mixed with steamed milk. Chai Latte is made by simply replacing the coffee in Caffe Latte with tea. The drink has a soft creamy texture and a mild taste.
Perfect for those who like English tea with milk.
How to make it:
- The easiest way to build your Chai addiction is buying ‘ready to brew’ Chai.
- But if u want you can make your own Chai at home:
- Bundle up in a bouquet garni (put the ingredients into a cloth and tie it up with a string): 2 teaspoons of fresh grated ginger root, 1 teaspoon of orange peel, 1 anise (whole star broken up), 1 teaspoon cardamon seeds, 5 whole peppercorns, 10 whole cloves and 4 pieces of cinnamon bark (4cm).
- Place the bouquet garni into a pot of water (5 cups).
- Bring the water to a low boil.
- Add 1/4 cup of black tea leaves and simmer.
- After 15 minutes remove the bouquet garni and pour the water through a sieve.
- After you have prepared the tea, add the steamed milk into the pot right from the Espresso machine.
- The steaming should double or triple the volume of milk and bring the velvety texture into your drink.
- Serve in a tall glass (as Caffe Latte).
- You can either serve it cold by pouring the final drink through crushed ice or/and add vanilla, honey or sugar to bring more sweetness.
If you are feeling creative and want to show off to your family or friends, here are some pictures of latte art that may inspire you.
Types of Coffee
- How much fat is there in coffee?
- Drinking coffee every day reduces diabetes risk
- Caffè Sospeso
- The cheap method for good fresh coffee
- What is the world’s biggest coffee bean called?
- How to grow your own coffee
- Why is coffee called a “cup of Joe”?
- The origins of coffee
- Nespresso Espresso coffee machine
- Darker Roast Means Less Caffeine